by Lynda Lehmann
(Cabarete , Dominican Republic)
The world renowned kite-boarding destination, Cabarete, on the Dominican Republic’s north shore, has lots more to offer than just the water sports it’s so famous for!.
Wedding couples and honeymooners, families and retirees, singles, couples and groups, all mingle with the sports enthusiasts at its’ quaint beach bars and restaurants.
Still one of the most affordable vacation spots in the Caribbean, the DR offers up great weather, delicious food, and the ambiance of genuinely friendly natives.
Dominicans are very social love to talk. Walking down the street, they’ll look you right in the eye with a friendly smile and “hola” greeting. If you’re having something to eat, you’ll hear the inevitably hearty “bon provecho”! when they see you.
Tourists looking for the huge all-inclusive big-name chain hotels, flock to Punta Cana. If you prefer to experience the real culture, and meet the local people, come to Cabarete. Here you can still find a wide variety of self-catering accommodations like Vecinos and sample the eclectic mix of restaurants available.
DON’T MISS our local attractions and activities…..
Eat a ripe mango, standing in the ocean surf,
with juice dripping off your elbows + chin…mmm !!!
Taste freshly picked pineapple, papaya + bananas for breakfast
Sip a chilled coconut – with or without rum added
Top things to do in Dominican Republic
* Kite board, windsurf, surf and sail (or go “sale-ing” at Vecino’s Saturday Market in Cabarete)
* Golf at Playa Grande – DR’s “Pebble Beach”
* Whale watching in Samana
* Canyoning + rappelling beside waterfalls
* Zip lining on eco canopy tour
* Go to a baseball game (or Sunday cock-fight) – a true insight into Dominican culture
* Numerous tours – like Jungle + Safari tours
Top things to do on a budget
* Beachwalk hunts for shells, driftwood + amber treasures
* Explore + swim the crystal azure waters of the local caves
* Ride the Teleferico gondola up Mt Isabel del Torres
* Visit Christopher Columbus’s old fort in Puerto Plata
* Horseback riding on the beach + to visit inland waterfalls
* Sample local cuisine at roadside kiosks or bbq stands
* Shop La Pulga (flea market) in Puerto Plata
* Relax with a book poolside or at the beach
* Tour the Brugal factory in Puerto Plata
Top things to do with a family
* Swim with dolphins at Ocean World’s Marine Park
* Celebrate the February Independance Day Festivals in La Vega
* Visit the Amber Museum in Puerto Plata
* Discover Santo Domingo’s Old City Colonial Zone
* Swim and build sandcastles on endless beaches
* Picnic at the beach
* Bus tour through the mountains
* Visit a local school and village
* Rent a vehicle and explore the island
Looking for an affordable and memorable Caribbean vacation?
We’d luv to host it.
Visit us at Vecinos in Cabarete on the Dominican Republic’s Amber Coast…..you’re going to LUV it!