by Alesha Wilson
Travelling offers new experiences. By travelling to a new place, you learn about new cultures and widen your knowledge about other people. It’s no wonder why even schools include field trips in their curriculum because some things are just easier understood when you experience them firsthand. Apart from mandatory trips, you should also invest in going to a new country or town. But before you set about travelling, you have to remember these important guidelines.
1. Research first – Your destination might be very different with your own place in terms of culture and behavior. Researching will give you an idea of what to expect and what not to do. You might want to focus on how to greet and interact with people politely so that you will not do something inappropriate.
2. Dress appropriately – You may be coming from a place where it’s snowing, but what if your selected destination is hot as the sun itself? Pack clothes that are fit for the weather where you are going, not from where you are coming from. Furthermore, choose clothes that can easily be washed and matched with your other clothes so that you can create new outfits through your limited stash.
3. Learn some phrases in the vernacular – If you are going to a place where people speak a different language, it’s best to bring a guidebook. You can also learn some helpful words before going so that in case you meet someone who doesn’t understand you, you can say these phrases. Examples of helpful sentences are “Do you speak English?”, “Thank you”, and “Do you know where this is?”.
4. Exchange currencies when necessary – If you don’t want to lose money by paying in dollars and agreeing to the exchange rate a certain establishment tells you, exchange your money for the right currency used in that place. This will also make transacting with local shops easier.
5. Eat before leaving – Although you are recommended to taste as much food in the destination as possible, this doesn’t mean that you have to travel with an empty stomach. Or if you do not want to load up on calories since you know you’ll be eating a lot when you get there, why not try an appetite suppressant? You won’t feel hungry but you won’t feel guilty with the food that you ate either.
6. Manage your schedule – There may be a lot of things you want to do and places you want to visit, so scheduling is important. You don’t want to go home disappointed that your restricted time didn’t enable you to go to the beach, right?
Travelling is fun. You should travel to a new place soon. Thanks to the guidelines listed above, you are now ready to travel with nothing to stop you.
Alesha Wilson is a staff writer at RockwellNutrition.com, a leading natural health website.